Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Word of the Day: Incident

95% of the time I LOVE being an RA. I have great friends, a great floor, I get to plan cool events, and I'm always in "the know" about what's going on on campus.

Today, however, was in the other 5%.

My day started at 4:30 AM, when someone was pounding frantically at my door. I answered to find a very shaken resident telling me that she found someone in the bathroom passed out and having a seizure. I quickly grabbed my phone to call 911 and went to be with my fallen resident. By the time I got to the bathroom she had regained consciousness, and as soon as I saw she was breathing and conscious I became instantly calm. It's weird how, after dealing with so many incidents, the fact that someone is breathing is enough to be like, "Oh, no big deal."

She was, in fact, okay. I rubbed her back while she continued puking and we waited for the ambulance. She went to the hospital, but I was up until about 6:30 dealing with the incident, writing it up, assuring her roommate that everything was going to be okay, and then trying to fall back asleep myself. It is disconcerting to watch the sun begin to rise outside my window, knowing that I have to be up in two hours to greet it for an early class. Blast.

Being an RA is so fun, but it is scary and taxing to deal with emergencies. I'm not sure if it's good or bad that my fingers don't even shake a little bit anymore when I call 911. It's just like an extended speed dial. "Oh, hey, operator? I haven't yet talked with you yet this week. How are the children?" He he he it's not that bad, but I just feel like incidents don't phase me as much anymore. They leave me exhausted, but not shaken up. Does that make sense? They do, however, produce a very tired, cranky RA for the day after the night that she got four hours of sleep. Nobody better bust out the weed tonight; I would not be friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment